Thursday, March 3, 2011

Poster On North Great George's Street - Gardens Are An Act Of Faith In The Future

Many years ago I had to attend for a job interview in George's Street but I could not find the address that I had been given and as I could not find an operational public phone I failed to turn up at the specified time and the company in question were unwilling to reschedule when I finally managed to contact them. The problem was that I did not know that there are two streets in Dublin named George's Street … one on the south side and the other on the north side.

Great George’s Street North has survived much as it was when first built in the 18th century. The pavements are composed of the original granite paving slabs, even though some were damaged by workmen a number of years ago. Many of the houses are still lived in as private residences but unfortunately some have gone the usual way for Georgian houses in Dublin and are currently occupied by offices and institutions. For years the residents have fought an ongoing battle to preserve the street and prevent commercial exploitation. In this they have had some success.

No comments:

Most Recent Photographs By Infomatique