Sunday, September 9, 2012

Organic Growth by Pieter Koning: Sculpture In Context 2012 at the National Botanic Gardens

Information supplied by the artist:
"I was born in Holland in 1948. I originally set my sights on an academic career, but turned to sculpture after three years studying sociology and subsequently worked with qualified stone sculptors for two years learning and refining my art. I first exhibited my work in The Van Reekum Gallery in Amsterdam and went on to a successful career, showing regularly in acclaimed group shows throughout Holland during the seventies.

I came to Ireland in 1980 and settled in Teeraha, Caherciveen, County Kerry, where I established my studio. Here I not only live and work, but I also exhibit a permanent collection of my sculptures and paintings, as well as giving sculpture courses at Teeraha and throughout Ireland. I first exhibited my work in a group show in the Solomon Gallery in Dublin in 1982 and went on to show in group exhibitions in the Cork Art Society, The Frank Lewis Gallery, Killarney, Siamsa Tire Tralee and locally in Caherciveen. In 1986 my work was selected for the G.P.A. Exhibition in The Royal Hospital Kilmainham and the following year I had a very successful solo exhibition in the Lavitts Quay Art Gallery, Cork. My sculptures and paintings are in the collection of the Dutch Government as well as numerous private collections throughout Ireland, the United Kingdom, Germany and the United States."

No comments:

Most Recent Photographs By Infomatique